Careers Advice: Expert careers advice
Perfect your CV
Your CV is one of the most important things to get right when looking to make an impact in your chosen field.
The essential rules are to keep it concise, accurate and to the point. Include enough information about yourself to draw them in but leave them asking questions - questions they will want to ask you at interview.
As well as focusing on your achievements and selling yourself with your CV, there are other ways to grab the attention of your future employees.
, a TV news journalist who helps people and companies to communicate with impact says: "Get yourself a professional looking website/blog.
"Include a paragraph about you and what you can do for potential clients, a decent photo (not the drunken one on Facebook), examples of your work and of course your contact details."
Forrester Research says, “'Google me' is the new business card. The blog and social networking profile is the new resume”. So start a blog and write 2/3 posts a week on your main interest."
And get LinkedIn
|Start a career blog
- Start a free blog on websites such wewomen/blog, blogger or wordpress
- Write your About Me section and include a mini CV
- Update your blog 2/3 times a week
- Double and triple check spelling and grammar
- Follow other interesting blogs in your field to scope out the competition and network!
- Include comments on important news and research in yoru field to show you're up-to-date with the industry.
- Promote your professional/career blog on your social networks. You never know who it might reach!
Image © iStockphoto