Quick and Healthy Dinners: Macadamia and Chicken Risotto
The Macadamia and Chicken Risotto recipe is a great all year rounder and ideal in these credit crunch times to utilize all your leftovers.
Macadamia and Chicken Risotto recipe:
1 onion, peeled and sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons macadamia oil
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
180g risotto rice
600ml warm chicken stock (fresh is best) see below for making your own
200g cooked chicken (breast and thigh meat) shredded
200g seasonal mixed vegetables, (broccoli, green beans and sugar snap peas, blanched in boiling water for a few minutes, drained and cooled in cold running water)
100g macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Fresh parsley, sprigs or finely chopped
How to make:
1. Cook the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the oil, in a large frying pan, for a couple of minutes. Add the pepper and cook for another few minutes until the onion has softened.
2. Stir in the rice, coating it well in the oil, then pour in about a third of the stock. Cook over a medium heat, stirring every so often until the stock is almost absorbed, then pour in more stock. Keep adding stock and cook, stirring until the rice is just tender. This will take around 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the chicken and heat it through, then add the vegetables and macadamia nuts. Season to taste. Serve hot, garnished with parsley and a drizzle of macadamia oil.
To make Chicken Stock:
1. Put all the bones from a chicken carcass in a large saucepan.
2. Add an unpeeled onion, 1 carrot and 1 small leek, all roughly chopped, with a little salt and a few whole pepper corns, a handful of parsley and a couple of bay leaves.
3. Cover with cold water.
4. Bring to the boil slowly, simmer for 2 hours.
5. Strain and pour into pots and store in the fridge or freezer.