What is Hypnosis in Childbirth?
Hypnosis in childbirth was developed in America 15 years ago and is based on the work of an English obstetrician and founder of the National Childbirth Trust, Dr Grantly Dick-Read.
Release your anxieties about giving birth © Photodisc
He noticed that women who were calm and had positive expectations of their labor experienced less pain than those who were frightened.
Now, thanks to its success, dozens of classes are springing up world-wide. Each course teaches birth rehearsals and strongly encourages the mother to practice relaxation on a daily basis and to trust their body to give birth.
“The very best thing for a birthing mother to do is be relaxed and allow the body to do its job’,” said Svetlina. “A woman knows how to birth her baby without instructions and interventions as long as the mother and baby are healthy.”
The method focuses on self-hypnosis, relaxation and breathing techniques for a better birth. It encourages women to discover that severe pain does not have to be an accompaniment of labor. Instead women are being taught to release the fears and anxieties they currently have about giving birth and discover how to experience the magic and joy of it.
|At a glance... the benefits of hypnosis in childbirth
• Eliminates the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome during labor and birth
• Eliminates or reduces the need for intervention and painkillers
• Can shorten labor by several hours
• Reduces fatigue during labor
• Returns birthing to the beautiful, peaceful experience nature intended
• Makes women calmer and more in control in the event of a special circumstance
• Results in a calm and alert baby